Advantages of GRC
* GRC normally have a skin thickness of between 10 to 20mm which results in comparatively low component weight (approximately 1/5 in weight of precast concrete).
* This light weight offers substantial cost savings in:
- On-site storage
Mouldability / Flexibility in design
* GRC has a wide flexibility in design and manufacture which enables it to reproduce faithfully most architectural styles and features.
* GRC is able to replicate virtually various surface detail and to reproduce the appearance of materials, such as:
- Limestone / sandstone
Architectural Fascia & Building Cladding Elements
* Cladding materials:
One of the most popular applications of GRC in the construction industry world-wide is its use as external cladding material for :
- Industrial buildings
- Commercial buildings
- Residential buildings
Excellent environmental performance
* GRC is a fire-rated material with class “O” rating.
It has excellent acoustic performance and is resistant to ultra-violet degradation.
* GRC does not corrode and is safe to handle on site which directly reduce the scale of environmental pollution.
* Low rate of carbonation
Independent carbonation tests show that GRC provides:
- Greater level of steel reinforcement protection
- Greater resistance to chloride penetration
* Good noise reduction
- A typical 10mm thickness of GRC with a surface mass of 20kg/m² will have average noise reduction of about 30 dB.
- Doubling the thickness will increase the noise reduction to 35 dB.
* Low permeability / Non-combustible / Low maintenance
- GRC can be moulded to any required shape.
- GRC is hard and impermeable needing very low maintenance.
- GRC accepts wide range of surface finishes.
- GRC has excellent impact resistance and is fire-resistant.
* Factory quality control
GRC offers maximum quality control under:
- Factory conditions. GRC matrix, humidity, temperature and curing time are closely monitored to ensure strength, durability and accuracy of products.
* Weather resistant
GRC demonstrates its excellence notably with ability to withstand:
- High wind pressure
- Airborne sand
- Excellent thermal and noise insulation capability
* Fast erection on site
Speed-up construction programme because of fast erection of GRC provides economic advantage to developers:
- Attractive design of GRC surfaces accomplished in factory reduces the amount of time needed for surface treatments on site.
- On site labor cost & the cost of interim financing are minimized.
* Reduction in the use of external scaffolding.